Thursday, November 6, 2014

Paw Patrol -- Marshal Costume

Better late than never eh?  

Here is what I did to make my nephew's Paw Patrol/Marshall costume:





To start off I took apart a red hooded sweatshirt and added a zipper.  If you need a good zipper tutorial there are several that you can search for on YouTube.  For the arms, I traced the sleeves onto the dalmation print fabric and cut them out.  Marshall has a yellow collar so for that I measured a strip that was 3 inches wide and lined it up to fit around the neckline.

To start to put the top together, I made sure to cut the sides open of the sweat shirt.



Then with right sides together I started to pin the sleeves on on the shoulder portion first, then sewed them in place.  Then after the shoulder portion is sewed on both sides of the sweatshirt, I folded the shirt with right sides of fabric facing each other.  Then I pinned the seams together so when I sewed up the sides the fabric would not slip.  

Next with the shirt un-zipped I lined up the yellow collar fabric along the neck line seam and pinned in place.  After sewing around, I ironed the collar opened, and then folded the other side over to the wrong side of the fabric.  Then I top sewed around the collar using a 1/4 inch seam using the previous seam as a guide around.   (I forgot to take pictures of this process, my apologies!)


With the hood still open, I copied the hood pieces from my Skye costume onto the Dalmatian fabric and cut out the ear pieces as well and attached them to the shirt.   For the pants I took apart a pair of sweat pants where you have a front piece and a back piece.  I gave myself an extra inch at the waist since I was going to use elastic.  With right sides together, I first pinned the outer side of the pants and sewed both sides.  Then sewed the inner seams second.  

For Marshall's badge I "Google Image" searched for a clip art sample.  Starting with the outer piece I traced and cut the badge on white felt, and made a second smaller red felt piece.  Then on the printed photo I cut down to the flame tracing and traced that piece on orange felt and yellow felt.   

I used fusible applique webbing and ironed the pieces together.  Then I hooked a medium sized safety pin on the back of the badge so it could be attached to the zipper handle. 



I am happy on how this costume turned out.  But one thing I hope to find next time is Dalmatian fleece instead of the fake fur material that I found.  I had to pin the heck out of it so it would not slip during the machine sewing process!





1 comment:

  1. - To start off I took apart a red hooded sweatshirt and added a zipper. If you need a good zipper tutorial there are several that you can search for ... pawpatrolcostume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete